Crowns are necessary when a tooth is generally broken down and fillings won't solve the problem. They are also recommended to restore a tooth when there isn't enough tooth structure remaining, or to replace a large filling. Crowns protect the weak teeth from fracturing and are placed after a root canal treatment. Consult for your cosmetic dentist in Delhi for metal-free crowns or metal-porcelain crowns. At 32 Smile Stone Dental Clinic, we use highly aesthetic crowns to get that natural white smile!
Our precise color matching system allows us to find the right shade of porcelain to blend with your existing tooth colour. Porcelain crowns are extremely durable and long lasting, and these benefits make them popular with dentists as well as patients. Typically we can fabricate and cement your crowns in just a couple of appointments. Once a crown is placed, they function the same way like your natural teeth. Conscientious brushing twice a day and daily flossing will protect the base of your crown from bacterial growth.
What is a Crown?
A dental crown is a large dental restoration that fits entirely over your tooth, “capping” it from further damage. (Dental crowns are also known as caps.)
When are Crowns recommended?
- A large cavity to be filled
- Lost a large filling
- Undergone a root canal therapy
- Is chipped or broken
What are the Types of Crowns available?
There are basically three types of Crowns, those made of All Ceramic/ Porcelain, Metal-Ceramic and Gold.
All Ceramic/ Porcelain Crowns (metal free)
- They are mainly used for front teeth since they best resemble the natural tooth color and have the nicest appearance (no gray line).
- It is metal-free and thus a good alternate to patients with metal allergies.
- These include Lava, Procera, IPS e-max etc.
Metal- Ceramic Crowns- PFM
- They are extremely durable and normally used for the back teeth.
- They have a metal substructure under the porcelain. Sometimes with age and gum recession, a darker line becomes visible at the edge of the crown, nearer to the gum line.
- They are extremely durable and provide the most perfect fit.
- Mostly used for the back/ posterior teethMostly used for the back/ posterior teeth
- Highly recommended where the chewing and grinding forces are excessive.
- No possibility of chipping the crown when compared to porcelain crowns.
Dental Inlays are used to restore the inside of the cusps of the teeth. They can be made of either ceramic or gold material.
Dental Onlays are used to restore the lost cusps of the teeth. They are a significantly larger restoration than an inlay. Because of their size and strength, onlays can also be used as dental crowns. They can be made of either ceramic or gold material.