Home » Treatments » Cosmetic Gum Treatment

Cosmetic Gum Treatment

Cosmetic Gum Treatment

The early stage of gum disease is called gingivitis. At this stage, the disease is still reversible and can usually be eliminated by a professional cleaning at your dental office, followed by daily brushing and flossing. Once the gum disease spreads, it is called periodontitis. Gums separate from the teeth, forming pockets (spaces between the teeth and gums) that become infected. In advanced stages, it can lead to loss of bone around the teeth, leading to tooth mobility and eventually loss of tooth. Gingivitis accounts for about 70% of gum disease. Periodontitis makes up the other 30%. Severe gum disease may be associated with several other health conditions such as diabetes or heart diseases. For severe gum disease, surgical procedures for gum treatment include:

Surgical Procedures
  1. Gingivectomy
  2. Pocket reduction/ Flap Surgery
  3. Crown Lengthening
  4. Flap Surgery
  5. Bone Grafts

Gummy Smile Treatment

Consult Us if:
  1. You would like your gum analysis
  2. You are unhappy with the amount of gum tissue that shows when you smile
  3. You are self conscious when you smile


What is a Gummy Smile?
‘Gummy Smile' refers to the amount of gum tissue that shows proportional to the tooth structure when you smile. Large gums or short teeth can give your mouth an imbalanced, “gummy” look.

Gummy Smile Treatment
Simple surgical procedures required for this which include:

  1. Gingivectomy
  2. Flap Surgery
  3. Crown Lengthening

De-pigmentation of Gums


Before

After


It is a simple surgical procedure done under local anesthesia. The dark pigmented areas (melanin pigments) are removed to expose the naturally pink tissue underneath. The treatment includes scraping of the superficial layer of the gum that causes the pigmentation. A surgical dressing is applied over it to assist in the healing process.